[Fedora-livecd-list] Groundwork for booting from USB sticks

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 21:19:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:26 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> These patches provide the infrastructure to support nicely booting off
> of a live USB stick.  The pieces are to include vfat modules on the
> disk and to allow having the live image under a live subdirectory.

Both patches look good to me, only one nitpick: I don't like the
directory name 'live', it's too generic and doesn't really make the
owner of the USB stick realize what's going on. I think this may be
important in settings where Fedora USB sticks are handed out on
conferences; 1GB sticks are about $10 a piece these days...

Being the pedant that I am, I also would prefer if it was capitalized.
Perhaps call it LiveOS (we can't really call it Fedora) and include a
README file in that sub directory that explains to the user that this
USB stick is bootable including what kind of computers it can boot on.
For example, the README file could mention some FAQ's about older
computers that can't boot off USB. Perhaps call it README.txt to make
lives easier on Windows users?

Apart from that, this is totally awesome. Good job!

    David