[Fedora-livecd-list] Caching downloaded RPMs

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 21:37:03 UTC 2007

--- "J. Christopher Pereira Z." <kripper at imatronix.cl> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> 1) I'm building a LiveCD using a remote repository.
> Everytime I restart the task, the packages are being redownloaded
> into the temporal/mounted dir.
> Is there any option for caching the downloaded packages?

The two methods I've used to solve the same problem are

1) squid
  - you need to yum install, then briefly configure, then get it so the
livecd tool utilizes a yum configuration with the specified localhost
http proxy (or I think there was also a way to utilize the squid proxy
by getting some http proxy environment variable set correctly).

2) just maintain a mirror.  I use lftp to maintain a personal mirror of
extras and updates.  You could probably write a script to maintain a
subset mirror if for some reason you really wanted that, but (1) still
wasn't preferable.

I do think that this is such a fundamental aspect of doing serious work
with creating livecds that the interface for mirror/cache management
should be tightly integrated with the livecd creator tool (in the long
run).

-dmc/jdog