[Fedora-livecd-list] Installation: monitor suspend with different timezones

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Tue May 8 08:46:21 UTC 2007

Am Mon, 07 May 2007 11:43:55 -0400
schrieb Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com>:

> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 11:53 +0200, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> > When installaling a kde livecd and selecting a different timezone
> > (eg. one from europe) the monitor will suspend
> >
> > When I select a different timezone (eg. one from europe) in
> > Anaconda during installation from a kde livecd the monitor will
> > suspend when Anaconda changes the timezone (AFAIK after formatting
> > the partitions). It will come back when moving the mouse or hitting
> > any key. But I think this is a little bit confusing for
> > non-experienced users.
> >
> > In gnome livecd this would not happen. I'm not sure if this is
> > related to anaconda, metacity/gnome or kwin/kde (powersaving is
> > disabled in kde). I've also tried this with installing and using
> > openbox on the gnome cd. Then the monitor is also suspended.
> >
> > Any ideas how to solve this?
>
> The problem is that we need to be able to change the timezone so that
> files are created with the correct timestamp.

Then I have a question: When booting the livecd is the time taken from
the bios?

Example: I'm booting the livecd. My bios clock says it is 10 am. The
timezone on the livecd is US/Eastern. When Gnome or KDE is starting the
panel clock says it's 10 am in US/Eastern. When installing I'm
changing the timezone in anaconda because I live in germany
(Europe/Berlin). Now the timezone is correct but the clock changed to 4
am. If I check "UTC" this time will also be saved to my bios clock.

Is this the correct timestamp? Because the times would be wrong from my
point of view (Europe). Or am I missing something here?

> If only there were a nice way that worked across desktops to inhibit
> the screensaver being triggered.  Alas, not there yet

Not sure if this is the screensaver. In KDE it is disabled. In my test
with openbox I haven't startet any.

Sebastian