[Fedora-livecd-list] Trimming the size of LiveCD's

Elias Hunt hunt at m2s.com
Tue Oct 2 19:26:43 UTC 2007

I'm just getting caught up on some old threads, but saw this one and
wanted to add another voice in support.

Since rpm itself already supports the --excludedocs argument, does yum
support passthrough? If so could livecd-creator also support passthrough
in some way? I looked at the livecd-creator code in hopes of being able
to submit a patch myself, but I understand entirely too little of the
yum api and whether or not it would support passing along standard rpm
arguments or if yum itself might need to be modified.

In the past when we did our own custom spins (not livecd-creator based)
I used to do cleanup of info, man, docs, etc by removing the files from
my master image. This allowed all spins to not even have to think about
those files. As was suggested in this thread the files could be removed
in the %post section, however that means time, disk and RAM would be
utilized during the spinning process to install and then delete the
files. If they never got installed in the first place it seems like the
whole thing would be smoother.

In our case we'd never want those files back as we don't install off
livecds, so having a tool to fix would be inconsequential. Obviously
this should never be enabled by default, but for many of us making
custom spins it seems like a quick way to remove a lot of excess data at
a cost we'd be willing to bear.

If there is already an argument available in kickstart, yum or
livecd-creator that can do this, I'd appreciate the slap on the wrist
and being told I should pay more attention. :)

Thanks.
-Eli