[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- unionfs persistence?

Phillip Lougher phillip at lougher.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 15:37:11 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 10:15 -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> What do people think about using unionfs for persistence (and perhaps
>> Copy-On-Write in general) in Fedora LiveCDs?
>
> The big question today is the same as the big question around using
> unionfs for anything has been for a while now -- what's the actual
> likelihood of an implementation ever being both upstream and stable.

In Ubuntu unionfs has been used in the liveCD for a number of releases.
The trick is to get a Unionfs that works and stick with it, for that
reason the Ubuntu kernel has stayed with Unionfs 1.2 and 1.4 for
a long time.  Unfortnately we've upgraded to Unionfs 2.1.1 because
Unionfs 1.x doesn't handle NFS filesystem branches correctly in
recent kernels.

Having moved to 2.1.1 I expect a number of issues may arise with
the Ubuntu liveCD, and in fact I'm currently investigating an issue that
may be caused by the move to 2.1.1.

So the stability of Unionfs still appears to be a major issue for
anyone using it.

Phillip