[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- proposal for livecd filesystem layout changes

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 14:54:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 01:25 -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
> > A downside, is that an F7 version of livecd-iso-to-disk would not work
> > with an F8 livecd.  I think its worth it, but I admit it is a downside.
>
> Though OTOH, an f7-updates version of livecd-tools mitigates this.

Yeah, I suspect we would need to do this.  Which gets a little tricky
with some of the config changes unless I can twist clumens's arm into
putting out a pykickstart update as well :-/

> Also, one more addition to the scheme, would be prepending the fslabel
> to the fstype.img syntax, e.g. for f7 it would become
>
> iso9660:/LiveOS/Fedora-7-Live-i386.squashfs.img
>
> This would potentially facilitate a nice directory structure for
> LiveDVDs and LiveUSBs that could boot more than one LiveOS image.
>
> I don't think there are any issues with that syntax regarding
> vfat/iso9660/syslinux filename limitations (?)

Any files that we access from the boot loader have to stick to 8.3.
Beyond that, shouldn't be a problem.  It looks like Joliet restricts us
to 64 characters, but as the label is limited to 32, we won't get to 64.