[Fedora-livecd-list] udev selinux problem? "udevd_event selinux_setfilecon failed"

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 12:55:53 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 01:04 -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> I may yet file a bug, if I can provide instructions on how to reproduce
> this.  But since I'm working from an extremely modified environment,
> I'll just ask for general advice-
>
> I've spun an selinux-enabled livecd, and upon starting up, and starting
> udev, I get a whole bunch of 'errors' (perhaps harmless) that look
> vaguely like the following-
>
> udevd_event selinux_setfilecon failed permission denied /dev/usbdev....
>
> I googled for selinux_setfilecon and found basically nothing.
>
> Do these keywords ring a bell to anyone?

It looks like (from the messages) that udev is trying to set a file
context based upon its config but that it's not being allowed to do so.
Probably because it's running as a type that isn't allowed to set those
contexts on files.

So I'd take a look the context of udevd with ps -Z and see if it's a
context that's allowed to set file contexts of the appropriate type