[Fedora-livecd-list] Minimal development environment on Livecd

James Gallagher jbgallagher2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 21:41:14 UTC 2008

--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> James Gallagher wrote:
> > Jeremy Katz said a discussion could start if I
> > suggested packages to remove. I did this, quite
> > sensibly, so why no replies?
>
> Desktop live cd is unlikely to ship with any
> development tools. Short
> term workarounds are generally not encouraged. If
> you would like to
> create a custom live cd to meet your needs, there is
> good documentation
> for that and there are many here who can help answer
> questions on that.
>
> Additional note is that people working on these
> things are now busy
> getting the Fedora 9 release out which is reaching
> major milestones and
> requires lot of attention at this point.
>
> Rahul
>
> --

I realised the F9 release was imminent and hoped to
get what I though was a minor addition included (A
minor addition which would have huge benefits)

I think the LivecCD with an extra 20mb of devel rpms
would fit on a cd with overburn enabled, easily. I
think k3b, nero, roxio etc can all easily do an
overburn. Why not release the standard LiveCD and
another one with devel rpms included and a warning
that overburn will be required?

If you monitor the download stats for these I think
you'll find the devel enabled LiveCD will be more
popular.