[Fedora-livecd-list] Kickstart templating and localized spins

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Apr 15 10:43:08 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 17:30 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> fedora-live-base.ks
>>    Includes everything needed to make a live spin work.
>
> How does this differ from fedora-base-desktop.ks which we have today and
> which is used as the basis for the Desktop, the KDE and the XFCE spins?

This particular 'base.ks' is not necessarily different in this aspect,
as you could tell from the demo 'base.ks' in the spin-kickstarts GIT
repository on hosted.

The point of 'base' though is to really only include the bits needed to
make a live spin work. It's what other people can base their work on for
a new spin concept, without too much being inherited. In that aspect
still it is very much similar if not completely equal to what exists
today in the livecd GIT repo/packages. It allows further customization
in the higher level kickstarts without having to undo or override what's
in the base kickstart.

Possibly, we'd include settings that are non-negotiable; selinux comes
to mind, as well as disabling firstboot, etc.

>> fedora-live-desktop.ks
>>    Includes everything needed to make the 'desktop' spin concept work,
>>    but no localization. Includes fedora-live-base.ks.
>>
>> fedora-live-desktop-<lang>.ks
>>    Includes localization bits (lang, keyboard, timezone,
>>    @<lang>-support). Includes fedora-live-desktop.ks.
>>
>> Maybe create fedora-live-desktop-default.ks to provide the default
>> compose the way it is now (localization is en_US, includes @*-support).
>
> Ummm, the configs for the way things are done today _have_ to exist in
> some form.  Otherwise, it kind of breaks the ability for us to, you
> know, release the distro ;-)

The Spin SIG is just as much concerned with the Fedora Project being
able to release, of course ;-)

   I really don't like -default, though.

It can go away... The implication though is that the officially released
version would actually be a localized version. I intended -default to be
non-localized, yet at the localization (higher) level so that the
released spin is valid for everyone. Would the bits in '-default' be at
a higher level, a localized spin would inherit all the "default"
localization bits (@*-support).

> 'base' has been pretty good, but -base-base-desktop seems odd :)

 From where I'm sitting, 'desktop' as it is right now is a spin concept
(fedora-live-gnome.ks if you will). I'm sure there's bits all "Desktop"
spins need (now livecd-fedora-8-base-desktop.ks): XFCE, KDE and "GNOME"
(now 'desktop') come to mind. For now though, all spins are desktop
orientated spins and hence there's no problem including the bits that
make a desktop oriented spin in the base kickstart. Would non-desktop
oriented spins rise to the surface, I'm sure that within a level we can
distinct between certain branches. Right now I'm thinking
'fedora-live-base-desktop.ks' vs. 'fedora-live-base-runlevel3.ks' but I
would rather not commit to a model now only to find out it's invalid at
the moment the first new spin concept comes along.

> I'm not against the general idea, although it's really too late to make
> changes to the configs we use for Fedora 9.

I didn't expect otherwise. I'm aiming at the F10 development cycle.

>> Although possibly a futile point at this moment; A stock Fedora 8
>> compose from the kickstarts currently in livecd-tools' GIT repo
>> (including updates!), and one that only includes @dutch-support (new
>> model, also including updates).
>
> Sure you're not building x86_64 images?  As that looks pretty close to
> the x86_64 size.  If not, then ahh, the fun of the ever-growing distro!

These were x86_64 composes, the point was the difference between a
"default" spin (including @*-support), and a localized spin.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip