[Fedora-livecd-list] gpk-update applet on live cd

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 03:18 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> gpk-update applet runs on the live cd and checks for updates on the live
>> cd environment (atleast for the xfce spin) and I suspect it does on the
>> other live cd's as well. Should this be disabled? If so, what would be
>> the best way to do it?
>
> In theory, this should be getting done by default now (see
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=livecd;a=commitdiff;h=0e85e65b0e3f45d17650c5d2e87768dcf5d4f7dd)

Seems to be only in theory. I checked in the preview release and the
update applet is initiated in the live cd and ends up downloading
metadata which can be of significant size and associated cost in a
bandwidth limited connection. The update applet should never be started
in a live cd environment.

Rahul