[Fedora-livecd-list] Custom spin of Fedora - non-package customizations

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Tue Apr 29 15:19:45 UTC 2008

There really isn't a great tutorial for things beyond the basics
(although if someone knows of one, please correct me).  The mailing list
archive is a good place to find this stuff as long as you throw the
right search terms at it.  But, a couple of quickies from my notes:

For non-standard packages, create a basic archive (put the packages in a
directory, run createrepo on that directory) and then add it to your
list of repositories.

Display settings... I believe that's a standard kickstart options.
Maybe someone else will pipe up.

You can directly change firefox-related stuff by editing
|/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.5/defaults/pref/all-redhat.js|
But, the simplest way (for me) to do this and the rest of the things you
can to do is by booting up your livecd, customizing things to taste
(e.g. set your browser config, cookies, etc) and then tar up the
appropriate parts of /home/[username].  Copy that tar file to someplace
your kickstart can reach and then add something in post %nochroot to
untar the file & copy everything to /etc/skel/.  I've never tried it,
but you should (theoretically) be able to just tar up (make sure you use
the permissions flag) the whole user home directory and just stomp
/etc/skel in post %nochroot.

Note, some things seem to be more resistant to this treatment than
others.  It appears that when the actual user directory is created some
things are automatically set, overiding settings you throw into
/etc/skel.  For instance, I tend to just replace the default desktop
graphic file (/usr/blah/blah/blah) rather than trying to convince
/etc/skel to point to my custom graphic.

Tim

Todd N wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to determine the best way to create a custom spin of
> Fedora which, in addition to having a customized set of
> standard Fedora packages that we need for our environment, also
> includes changes like:
>
> * Browser configuration changes
> * Possible browser cookie(s) added
> * Display settings
> * Installation of non-standard packages (i.e. packages you would not
> find in a standard yum repository
> * Other custom changes to individual files
>
> I know that the Kickstart file allows for post install
> customizations.  I am wondering whether anyone could point me
> towards a good tutorial that would help me in setting up these
> detailed config changes.  I am also researching on my own, but any
> additional ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thanks much,
> Todd

Tim Wood, CLP, RHCT
719.338.7484 (tel)

The Data Wranglers
Web, Database & more since    since 1994
www.datawranglers.com