[Fedora-livecd-list] Allowing livecd images large than 4GiB

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Dec 16 16:09:34 UTC 2008

I have submitted a feature request (allow with a patch to implement the
feature) for livecd-creator to use udf instead of iso9660 so that the
images can be larger than 4GiB. This would allow full use of DVDs
(the lowest maximum size for standard sized disks is 4.7GB) adding about
400MB of compressed space. This could also be used to create much larger
spins for use on live usb's.
I have successfully tested my patch on a spin that was over 4GiB, but still
fit on a DVD. The testing wasn't that extensive, but it booted and I was
able to run a couple of games without seeing a problem.
I am not an expert in DVD/CD formats so there may be things I have missed.

The feature request is bug 476696.