[Fedora-livecd-list] Allowing livecd images large than 4GiB

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 21:14:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 14:25 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> The livecd-creator process barfs in the squashfs file system is over
> 4 GIB compressed.

Are you sure that's squashfs, or the kickstart image size?
I ran into that too, but it was the image size.

> The mkisofs documentation says this should happen
> at 2 GiB. So I am not entirely sure what gives there.

You may be correct.

> I suspect it was one track, but I don't know for sure. I used k3b and the
> burn iso dvd tool.

k3b actually uses several tools.  It can use dvd+rw-tools as well.

E.g., DVD+R media is actually DVD+RW, and nothing like CD-R or DVD-R.

DVD+RW Consortium (Sony/Philips) firmware also has a different focus
than DVD Consortium (Matsushita/Pioneer) drives.

> But there aren't many files visible at that level. A few things in the
> equivalent of /boot and the rest is the file containing the squashfs
> file system.

But doesn't the PC BIOS' El Torito support need to read the Yellow Book
track to get to them?  That's what I assumed, but I could be wrong.  I
mean, it still has to load ISOLinux.

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com      +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)