[Fedora-livecd-list] Allowing livecd images large than 4GiB

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Dec 16 23:09:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 17:49:01 -0500,
  Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 10:09 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I have submitted a feature request (allow with a patch to implement the
> > feature) for livecd-creator to use udf instead of iso9660 so that the
> > images can be larger than 4GiB. This would allow full use of DVDs
> > (the lowest maximum size for standard sized disks is 4.7GB) adding about
> > 400MB of compressed space. This could also be used to create much larger
> > spins for use on live usb's.
>
> I'm not against allowing udf, but we should probably use iso9660 unless
> the size forces us to need udf just to avoid problems on as many systems
> as we can.

So something that checked the size of the mksquashfs and switched automatically
between the two and emitting a message about this could be acceptable?
I don't really know python yet, so I may not be able to easily change
my previous patch to do that, but want to check before going down that road.
I think having access to teh extra space will be nice for the Games Spin as
things are pretty tight right now and a few hundred MB would be nice to have.