[Fedora-livecd-list] Virt-p2v live CD, comments and packaging

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 19:05:24 UTC 2008

Virt-p2v is a physical-to-virtual migration tool, for turning physical
computers into virtual machines running under some virtualization
environment like Xen.

The tool is packaged as a live CD, based on a Fedora 8 distribution, and
using livecd-creator to build the ISO.

Main page: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/
Source repo: http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-p2v--devel

I'm posting here to see if anyone has any comments about the way I did
this live CD.  The kickstart script uses a rather complex %post section,
which adds a few files to the filesystem, instead of building RPMs or
modifying existing RPMs.

I've also investigated how to attach stuff to the end of the ISO image,
and the way I've come up with allows me to update an ISO with a new
script quite easily, and much more quickly than waiting for
livecd-creator to rerun.  This great (a) for rapid development and (b)
to send new updates to users without forcing them to download another
170 MB ISO.

I'd like to package this for Fedora.  Obviously I don't want to package
the binary live CD, but instead package the kickstart file and some
tools to allow people to easily build custom live CDs.  If anyone has
any ideas or examples of this I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks,
Rich.