[Fedora-livecd-list] Woohoo! 31% boot speedup (*so far*), and 4.5MB free...

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Feb 10 22:42:39 UTC 2008

Just a status report on this, since 31% is such an outlandish claim...

I'm currently investigating why it is that my find atime command on my
livecd typically shows about 20k/80k files accessed during a normal
boot, versus 3k/80k on the f8 livecd.  If anyone would like to venture
speculation or facts as to which of those numbers is more realistic...
Looking at the diffs, I know that 3k is missing some stuff, like,
/etc/xdg/menus (the directory entry) not showing up, even though files
under the directory show up.  And I did extract the initramfs from the
f8 livecd, change it's /etc/fstab, initramfs /init, and
/sysroot/etc/fstab to all have atime,diratime instead of noatime and/or
relatime.  And I echod 0 to /proc/sys/fs/default_relatime as soon as
proc was mounted.

( find / -xdev -atime -7 -exec ls -ld '{}' ';' > boot.afiles.list.txt )

Anyway, I still think I can get significant improvement, but there are a
lot of experiments and trials to run.

In general, I'm also going to try ordering the filesystem with all
directory entries together, and symlinks together, to see how that helps
compression.  Likewise all text files, and all these things alpha and
size sorted.  I'm particularly interested if anyone has speculation as
to why clustering the directory entries and symlinks might be some bad
cornercase for ext3 filesystem performance.

And unfortunately I can't get the dm-reverse kernel module to compile
easily (don't think anyone's actually used it in years).  But I may go
back to my own kludge, somewhat similar to the perl extent reversing
example in the dm docs.

I'll let you all know how it goes...  Maybe nowhere, maybe it'll speed
up boot 50% and make space for another 10MB of compressed stuff...

-dmc