[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-iso-to-disk

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Feb 15 17:40:59 UTC 2008

Harish Pillay 9v1hp wrote:
> Gary -
>
>> The documentation on 'livecd-iso-to-disk' is pretty thin.
>> My main [first?] question is once I create such a USB-stick
>> image, how do I boot it?  Do I have to have a machine with
>> a BIOS that understands such?
>
> In a word, yes.  Typically, you could set up the BIOS to
> attempt to boot from the USB first, then the CDROM, then
> the harddisk.

It can also be more complicated than that.  For starters, some bioses
have an entry (usb-zip?) which will boot from a usb-flash drive if it is
formatted in a specific way (see syslinux documentation I think for
details).

Also, the bios on one of my systems has a lot of options, and I think
one of them actually works, but I need to (re)figure out-
USB-HDD/USB-FDD/USB-RMD/USB-ARMsomething....

I agree it would be nice to have a good doc that mentions these things.
  I'll certainly drop some notes when I re-figure out the above choice
(usb-hdd didn't seem to work, but I'm pretty sure one of the others did)

-dmc