[Fedora-livecd-list] PATCH: Disk (appliance) creator tool

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Feb 17 21:54:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 09:26:04PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 02:14:43AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > Future enhancements for this:
> >
> >  - Allow splitting across multiple disks (sda, sdb, etc)
> >
> >  - When staging final image, use qemu-img to generate qcow2, vmdk
> >    or raw files at user's choice. qcow2 would give huge size savings
> >
> >  - Output XML file for use with 'virt-image' tool, so that the entire
> >    build and deploy process consists of nothing more than:
> >
> >      # disk-creator  ovirt-wui-appliance.ks
> >      # virt-image ovirt-wui-appliance.xml
>
> This new version of the patch implements all three of the above features.
>
> As an example, creating an appliance with 2 disks (sda & sdb), outputting
> in qcow2 format:
>
>    disk-creator --format qcow2 \
>                 --name ovirt-wui \
>                 --disk ovirt-wui-os --size 5000 \
>                 --disk ovirt-wui-data --size 1000 \
>                 ovirt-wui-appliance.ks
>
> You'll end up with ovirt-wui-os.qcow2, ovirt-wui-data.qcow2 and ovirt-wui.xml

Opps, I meant to attach a copy of the ovirt-wui.xml for benefit of people
not familiar with virt-image / libvirt. The two files attached to this
mail are the ovirt-wui.xml created by disk-creator for feeding to virt-image.
The second XML file is the libvirt XML generated from ovirt-wui.xml for the
purposes of actually running the appliance in KVM

The core difference between the two is that the virt-image XML format
defines the *requirements* for running the VM, while the libvirt XML
format defines a specific *deployment* of the VM. The former is generic
to any HV, while the later is specific to the HV & host deployed under.

Regards,
Dan