[Fedora-livecd-list] rfc/suggestion: livecd kickstart format should include url install method

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Jan 14 04:32:47 UTC 2008

I'm currently working on my livecd generator, and making it compatible
with the kickstart format that livecd-tools expects.

My method involves a traditional anaconda network install going under qemu.

So here is what I noticed when I tried feeding a flattened version of

/usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-8-desktop.ks

into it.

The main problem, is that no install method is specified.  For now, I'm
just going to do a little parsing, taking the first repo line, and
converting it into

"
install
url --url=<bla>
"

With a manual wget and selection of a random mirror if mirrorlist is
specified.

I'm thinking that livecd-tools might be better off requiring the install
method syntax anyway, and basically setting down the idea that the
kickstarts that it accepts, should be usable as generic kickstarts for
installation in the traditional way.

Thoughts, objections?

Other than that, the only other thing I think I noticed was that it
failed to go completely automated due to lack of specified root password
entry.  Again, I'd suggest explicitly requiring that entry.

If the only issue is who will actually make the modifications, I am of
course willing to do that work.  But I won't go ahead unless it's agreed
it is the right thing to do.

-dmc