caching in general (was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] caching repository?)

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Wed Jan 16 19:42:33 UTC 2008

InstantMirror (I suspect) has the advantage that it can be utilized
anytime you're looking for rpms for livecd-creator, your local machine,
etc.  And, I suspect, by configuring it right, you can actually use it
as a repo server for an entire network.

They say they're working on creating a daemon that accepts requests and
manages downloads, etc., as appropriate.  So, turning the question
around, maybe something like InstantMirror could become a common
resource utilized by all of these tools?

Tim

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Douglas McClendon (dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org) said:
>
>> Tim Wood wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks.  That will work.  InstantMirror does look more maintainable but
>>> has the downside (at v0.4) that it looks a little early to use as the
>>> basis of real work.
>>>
>> Yes- I assumed --cache was so obvious, that you must have wanted something
>> for a wider purpose than just livecd creation.
>>

> Speaking of, we already have:
>
> - livecd-creator --cache
> - /var/cache/pungi
> - /var/cache/yum/<repository>
> - InstantMirror
>
> Is there any work/thought on makeing these not duplicate each other
> so much?
>
> Bill
>
> --

Tim Wood, CLP, RHCT
719.338.7484 (tel)

The Data Wranglers
Web, Database & more since    since 1994
www.datawranglers.com