caching in general (was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] caching repository?)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 01:11:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:47:40 -0500
Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think it would be cool if the operating system basically had a big
> key-value cache, that would be automatically purged as system space
> ran low.  So various tools could stuff rpm SHA1->rpm into there.
> Maybe you could even do this just using a filesystem interface
> say /var/cache/objects.

If that had some sort of build in locking, so that if you were already
downloading one file and another process asked for the same file, it
would pause letting the first one finish, and then service the second
one from the cache, that would be hot.  Do locking in one place,
instead of everywhere.

--
Jesse Keating