[Fedora-livecd-list] How do I save and restore my overlay?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Jul 21 04:56:11 UTC 2008

martin.x.long at jpmchase.com wrote:

> After I format and reinitialize my Live USB, do I have to let it run
> through all of the updates and reinstall my applications?
> Do we have the tools to pull all of that data off and restore it?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  One thing that is possible is to
copy the overlay file from one liveusb and put it on another.  Though
the format of the overlay file is inherently tied to the specific liveos
it was originally with.  I.e. you won't be able to copy an overlay file
from an f9-x86 liveusb onto an f9-x64 or f10-x86 liveusb.  Or even a
customized f9-x86 liveusb that you created with livecd-creator/tools.

 From an engineering standpoint, of course anything is possible.  One
use case I see, is to use the persistence feature to add an entry to
fstab, such that say, /mnt/data mounts to a ext3fs image located on a
file on your liveusb.  You can then add a user that has a home directory
under there, and perhaps install applications under there.  In this way,
you could then copy that ext3fs image file to an f10 liveusb, and then
only have to re-do the fstab and passwd modifications, such that
everything now pretty much looks the same.

If that doesn't help or answer you question, try to add more detail to
your question.

-dmc