[Fedora-livecd-list] F10 Alpha: livecd-fedora-base-desktop.ks vs. fedora-live-base.ks

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Jul 24 16:36:52 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 13:02 +0200, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
>> Short and simple question: Which kickstart will be the base for the alpha of
>> the KDE live images, livecd-fedora-base-desktop.ks [1] from livecd GIT or
>> fedora-live-base.ks [2] from spin-kickstarts GIT?
>> The diff between them is quite huge (eg. one still has gparted and the other
>> one already includes firstaidkit) and I don't want to rely on the wrong one.
>
> At the moment, the official spins are still being done with the configs
> from the livecd-tools git repo.

Ohw? Who decided that?

> Jeroen -- we need to talk about what the long-term answer is because
> having _3_ copies of the files[1] just isn't really scalable :-)  But
> I'm a bit hosed schedule-wise this week, so maybe next week once the
> alpha is baked?

That depends. Someone decided the live spin kickstarts needed to be
maintained in two separate repositories by making the official spins
come from livecd-tools' GIT repo. When that happened, or why, I don't
know. Nor do I know what objections there are to a new location,
including it's new (submission/review) process. What's keeping
livecd-tools, release engineering, hence "the official process" from
using the kickstarts in spin-kickstarts exactly?

I say two locations, because the fedora-10-gold.ks used for installation
media is in pungi (and? or?) fedora-release, not in spin-kickstarts, and
as such doesn't concern this discussion.

FWIW, my livecd-tools GIT commit access request has been pending for
ages. I was planning on letting the kickstarts have an easy transition,
but I guess it's not going to happen.

I feel I'm contributing a valuable effort to this process, thanks.

-Jeroen