[Fedora-livecd-list] Disabling the Persistence Layer at boot time (LiveCD on USB)

James Gallagher jbgallagher2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 09:21:37 UTC 2008

I have two situations where I require to boot from my Fedora 9 LiveCD on usb but temporarily disable persistence for the session (So I have a normal LiveCD session)

1. I want to boot random machines at work (So don't want the network/graphics config stored in the persistence layer to load up)

2. The persistence layer gets corrupted and I can't boot at all unless I disable the layer.

I have been doing this by editing syslinux.cfg and adding an entry with the overlay parameter removed from the initrd line (Or pressing tab at boot and deleting the parameter). This boots up ok but generates an ugly error message about not being able to find the persistence layer.

Is there a clean way to disable persistence in a usb image created with persistence? (It seems to me that this would be useful in any case, since most people will want to use the livecd stick on disparate machines which cannot share common system settings in a single persistence layer.)