[Fedora-livecd-list] The long-awaited landing of persistence

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 15:32:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 17:27 -0600, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Anybody else adding swap to their usb? That would be a nice option for
> the live2usb script, IMHO, just not sure for the best/right way to add
> that... I use a usb2ide adapter, and have a pre-existing swap partition
>   that "just works" on boot.

Swap on a USB stick tends to be less than ideal just due to the write
patterns for swap.  There's nothing stopping it, though.

[snip]
> So lets just say that you boot your initrd, have the means to setup the
> network, retrieving your "overlay file", could you then merge that into
> the base livecd before your really mount sysroot?
>
> Wow, I'm thinking updates as you boot or just before you install to the
> hard-drive.... Or maybe grab my personal mod's from here... Or base live
> + overlay = spin...  Just some random thoughts...

Yep, there's all sorts of things that start to be possible.  Although
for a lot of things like network setup, etc we really need to get
further on merging the needs for live initrds into mkinitrd.  What I've
done will make it transparent for when we do, but for those that haven't
looked, it's definitely a hack for now