[Fedora-livecd-list] Custom spin of Fedora - non-package customizations

Todd N todd655495 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 14:44:15 UTC 2008

Thanks, Tim, for the information.  OK, here's another one... I'd like to be able to make a bunch of Live CDs that are identical (with all of our customizations) EXCEPT for a small bit of information that will be different for each CD.  Is there some special location on the Live CD image that these per-user configurations can be placed, after the image has been created?  My goal here is to avoid having to run livecd-creator to create a slightly different image for each individual user.  It would be a great help if there were some "override area" outside of the Live CD's ext3 (/) file system, such that any files placed there would take the place of the equivalent files within the Live CD's already created ext3 system.

  Thanks,
  Todd

Tim Wood <tim.wood at datawranglers.com> wrote:
  There really isn't a great tutorial for things beyond the basics (although if someone knows of one, please correct me).  The mailing list archive is a good place to find this stuff as long as you throw the right search terms at it.  But, a couple of quickies from my notes:

For non-standard packages, create a basic archive (put the packages in a directory, run createrepo on that directory) and then add it to your list of repositories.

Display settings... I believe that's a standard kickstart options.  Maybe someone else will pipe up.

You can directly change firefox-related stuff by editing /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.5/defaults/pref/all-redhat.js
But, the simplest way (for me) to do this and the rest of the things you can to do is by booting up your livecd, customizing things to taste (e.g. set your browser config, cookies, etc) and then tar up the appropriate parts of /home/[username].  Copy that tar file to someplace your kickstart can reach and then add something in post %nochroot to untar the file & copy everything to /etc/skel/.  I've never tried it, but you should (theoretically) be able to just tar up (make sure you use the permissions flag) the whole user home directory and just stomp /etc/skel in post %nochroot.

Note, some things seem to be more resistant to this treatment than others.  It appears that when the actual user directory is created some things are automatically set, overiding settings you throw into /etc/skel.  For instance, I tend to just replace the default desktop graphic file (/usr/blah/blah/blah) rather than trying to convince /etc/skel to point to my custom graphic.

Tim

Todd N wrote:     Hello,

  I am trying to determine the best way to create a custom spin of Fedora which, in addition to having a customized set of standard Fedora packages that we need for our environment, also includes changes like:

  * Browser configuration changes
  * Possible browser cookie(s) added
  * Display settings
  * Installation of non-standard packages (i.e. packages you would not find in a standard yum repository
  * Other custom changes to individual files

  I know that the Kickstart file allows for post install customizations.  I am wondering whether anyone could point me towards a good tutorial that would help me in setting up these detailed config changes.  I am also researching on my own, but any additional ideas are appreciated.

  Thanks much,
  Todd