[Fedora-livecd-list] pre-install scripts and syslinux

David Straub dms5074 at psu.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:30:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 10:37 AM Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>Yeah, the code is clearly trivial.  But if we're to correspond with the
>other case that %pre is used (the installer), then we need to run the
>script before we get any install roots or similar created.  At which
>point, the question is what are you trying to accomplish with the %pre
>and is there a better way?

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that first to explain the change.  It
was intentional ... but now I see where concerns would arise regarding the %pre
environment.

What I am trying to accomplish is essentially what partition directives do in a
"real" install.  If I recall correctly, livecd-tools only acknowledges the root
partition.  I used %pre to create disk images and mount them over points in the
install directory so I could keep the main image's size low.  Then while
running on a system, the main image (a few MB) is loaded into memory and the
non-essential images are mounted from a slower medium if needed.  (I am running
some "special" systems.)

I know this isn't exactly the intended purpose of livecd-tools, but
nevertheless, I thought it would be more acceptable to implement an
install-root-aware %pre section rather than trying to have partition directives
create disk images.  I am probably the only person on Earth who uses the
package for this purpose, so perhaps I should just keep my own local fork of
the scripts if compatibility with the installer is important.  (In this case I
think I will create disk images for partition directives.)

As for the question of a better way: If there is one, I don't know of it.  I am
certainly open to suggestions.

 Thanks,
  Dave