[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Seemingly divergent netboot/disklessrc and livecd/mayflower for initrd, init, etc...

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 14:30:57 UTC 2008

> This code is dead (long-term.) Note that mkinitrd itself has support
> for NFS boot, iSCSI, etc.

Understand that, but there is still a modification of NFS boot for
Diskless/Stateless in RHEL 5, even if based on older developments.

> There is a livecd-tools branch for RHEL 5 - I believe Rahul maintains
> that.

Yes, that's what I'm looking at.  It's livecd-tools 013-5 in EPEL.  I've
discussed with him off-list.

> Attempting to catalog a list of network/storage module is a long-term
> failure. We do a hack in anaconda by looking for modules that reference
> certain needed symbols (register_net_device, register_block, etc.), but
> it's still a hack.

And only in newer Fedora developments (post-RHEL 5) as I understand it?

> Honestly, I'm not sure what we really need right now is Yet Another
> initrd project. There's talk of a new upstream one that can hopefully
> be shared by multiple distros, but that's still a ways off from production.
> In the meantime, it's probably better to just fix what's there.

Which means merging system-config-netboot approaches, its init script,
etc... with mayflower for RHEL 5-specific details that do not have newer
Fedora developments.

Furthermore, I guess the "initrd" was the inappropriate term to use.
What I'm talking more about is radical departure from what "mayflower"
currently does, to look at the problem more generically -- not just for
LiveCDs, but Diskless, Flash, etc...

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com      +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)