[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Seemingly divergent netboot/disklessrc and livecd/mayflower for initrd, init, etc...

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 17:39:59 UTC 2008

Hrm.  evo ate part of my reply so trying to recreate it..

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 13:18 -0400, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> Or would everyone agree it's probably not a good idea to try to work
> something for RHEL 5?  My idea was to replace mayflower with something
> for RHEL 5 now, and then work on adding those features to mkinitrd for
> possibly RHEL 6 (or some future development) when I have time.

It's very much not the right idea to start doing the work on RHEL5.  If
there's functionality that people want, you want to start working on it
against the upstream development tree.  Not against a two year old
branch.  Then, once you get something which is working acceptably
upstream and meets the requirements, it's reasonable to assess the
feasibility of a backport.

Doing it ANY OTHER WAY all but assures the fact that you'll end up
having to do the work all over again against a new version.  And thus
the cycle ends up repeating itself endlessly.

For an analogy -- if you were to start working on an entirely new kernel
subsystem, would you do it against 2.6.18 or would you do it against
Linus's git?