[Fedora-livecd-list] RFE: implant locale information into isos like anaconda implants md5sums

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 01:09:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 00:04 +0200, KH KH wrote:
> The "whole" problematic of localized LiveCD isn't only that language,
> keyboard, date (but also firefox/thunderbird dictionaries) are thoses
> from a given locale option.
> But also that translation texts (/usr/share/locale/* ) are also
> removed to only keep the desired locale.

There aren't any translations removed from the default desktop live
image.  I can't speak to what's done for the other live images

> This will save around 200Mo
> from a 700Mo international spin. (tested in the fr_FR LiveCD case).
> So maybe it could be possible to store locales in a special place so
> it can be removed easily from the international spin when the iso is
> getting transferered to the (LiveUSB) device.

The problems with removing languages from being installed start with
a) No easy way for someone to go back and add a locale after the fact
b) Not having bits installed means that if you're using deltarpms, you
can't really take advantage of deltas

> But for now i'm still using (from the fedora-livecd-desktop-fr_FR.ks ):
> %pre
> # Only install the needed locales
> mkdir -p /etc/rpm
> echo "%_install_langs en:fr:fr_FR:fr-FR" > /etc/rpm/macros.lang

You do realize that %pre doesn't even run at all with livecd-creator?