[Fedora-livecd-list] Big size difference in i686 and x86_64 versions of KDE live images

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:12:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Sebastian
Vahl<deadbabylon at googlemail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> x86_64 images (around 40 megs). The slighlty different package list couldn't
> explain this (i.e. atlas-sse (i686) vs. atlas (x86_64) is the only important
> difference).
> So I've compared the sizes of the installed packages (rpm -qa --qf "%{name}
> {size}\n" | sort -nr). Many packages are different in size but the kernel does
> have the biggest difference:
> i686: 78453688
> x86_64: 103736431
<snip>

I haven't tested extensively just yet, but in a conversation with
Kevin Fenzi the other day he noted that the 64-bit version of the Xfce
spin was inflated by ~35MB or so because of dracut which is something
we might need to adress with the dracut guys/gals/team/whatever. I
don't know if the 32-bit version of the Xfce spin is also effected or
not just yet, the compose I did on Monday I don't believe included
dracut so I can't really say this is it for sure ... just something I
thought I'd mention.

-Adam

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com