[Fedora-livecd-list] xen livecd creation

Patrice Guay patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca
Sun Aug 16 16:31:58 UTC 2009

I'm trying to create a LiveCD with a xen enabled kernel (kernel-xen).
I'm using livecd-tools 013 (the last compatible version with CentOS5).
Creating a regular LiveCD works fine but I'm having trouble with the Xen
LiveCD.

The following files are created under the isolinux directory:
> boot.cat
> initrd0.img
> isolinux.bin
> isolinux.cfg
> mboot.c32
> splash.jpg
> vesamenu.c32
> vmlinuz0
> xen0.gz

Here is the relevant content of isolinux.cfg:
> default vesamenu.c32
> timeout 100
>
> [...]
>
> label linux0
>   menu label Xen LiveCD
>   kernel mboot.c32
>   append xen0.gz --- vmlinuz0 --- initrd0.img  root=CDLABEL=xen rootfstype=iso9660 ro quiet liveimg
> menu default

And here is the boot messages I get:
> [...]
> NET: Registered protocol family 17
> Using IP] No-Shortcut mod
> Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 383k
> 4gb seg fixup, process init (pid 1), cs:ip 73:00xxxxxx
> 4gb seg fixup, process init (pid 1), cs:ip 73:00xxxxxx
> 4gb seg fixup, process init (pid 1), cs:ip 73:00xxxxxx
> [...]
> 4gb seg fixup, process init (pid 1), cs:ip 73:00xxxxxx
> kernel commandline:
> fstab suggests root=/dev/mapper/livecd-rw
> fstab suggests rootflags=defaults,noatime
> fstab suggests rootfstype=ext3
> init=/sbin/init
> root=/dev/mapper/livecd-rw
> rootflags=defaults,noatime
> rootfstype=ext3
> root_ro=0
> root_rw=0
> SCSI subsystem initialized
> loop: loaded (max 16 devices)
> starting udevd
> creating devices
> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input0
> hdc: ATAPI 1X CD-ROM drive, 32kB Cache, UDMA(33)
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
> input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse as /class/input/input1
> waiting for system to settle
> no root yet, udev rule will write symlink...
>
> waiting up to 60 seconds before dropping to emergency shell.
> [...]
> .....printk: 2869 messages suppressed.
> 4gb seg fixup, process init (pid 1), cs:ip 73:009f337c
>
> --------------------------------------
> WARNING: Cannot find root file system!
>
> Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue
> the boot sequence.
>
> bash: no job control in this shell
> bash 3.2#

Anyone has a clue about what is going wrong with this Xen LiveCD?

Thanks,
--
Patrice Guay