[Fedora-livecd-list] Pointers to live usb using super floppy format

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:50:37 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III a écrit :
> I have some older computers that don't seem to be able to boot off of
> liveusb devcies formatted like hard drives and am looking to see if they
> will work with ones formatted as superfloppies (no partition table and
> no MBR). Since the bios' setup options suggest that they will boot off of
> some usb devices it seems likely this will work.
> However I am having trouble finding clear instructions on how to turn
> a live[c/dv]d image into a liveusb image that doesn't use a partioned device.
> Can someone point me to some reasonable documentation on how to do this?

Have a look at "makebootfat". Something like this maybe (some details
and options skipped for clarity)

  dd if=/dev/zero of=imagefile
  loopdevice=$(losetup --show -f imagefile)
  makebootfat <cryptic options> $loopdevice

and then give the "$loopdevice" target to livecd-iso-to-disk.

If you change your mind and want to mount some partition instead of the
whole imagefile:

  losetup -d $loopdevice
  loopdevice=$(losetup --show -f -o $partitionoffset $imagefile)