[Fedora-livecd-list] Pointers to live usb using super floppy format

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Dec 22 15:47:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 22:07:23 -0600,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> I have some older computers that don't seem to be able to boot off of
> liveusb devcies formatted like hard drives and am looking to see if they
> will work with ones formatted as superfloppies (no partition table and
> no MBR). Since the bios' setup options suggest that they will boot off of
> some usb devices it seems likely this will work.
> However I am having trouble finding clear instructions on how to turn
> a live[c/dv]d image into a liveusb image that doesn't use a partioned device.
> Can someone point me to some reasonable documentation on how to do this?

I think the problem may be that the devices are too large and may require
extra trickiness. They need FAT32 or FAT16 with very large clusters to make
an 8GB file system and I think those features may not be properly supported.
The liveusb creation script does use syslinux instead of isolinux when writing
to a device that isn't partitioned. I don't know if the problem is a
limitation of syslinux or with the bios of the machines.
I'm going to be doing some more reading and testing to see if I can figure it
out.