[Fedora-livecd-list] 3 more megs if we get rid of redundant copy of kernel?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Jul 17 07:51:42 UTC 2009

On 07/16/2009 04:07 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 15 2009, Douglas McClendon said:
>> In my livecd generation tools I go to a bit of extra hassle to play
>> symlink games with /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r), such that it doesn't get
>> put into the squashfs, since a copy of it is in the container iso/usb
>> filesystem.
>>
>> Maybe we want to do that for f12?  It is a bit messy, but I think it's
>> worth it for 3/700M.
>
> Nope, it breaks the ability to easily install by copying over the
> filesystem.  And when you consider that someone may be booting via pxe
> and then trying to install (see livecd-iso-to-pxeboot), there's no
> guarantee that we can get that file back.

OTOH, someone may opt-in to remove the duplicate files or foo or bar
basically breaking this feature which is not essential to the concept of
Live media (but is a Fedora feature and so must be on all Fedora
released Live media).

An 'rm' in %post would be too early, and so the "user" is out of
alternatives.

I'd suggest if someone really wants to remove the kernel from the
filesystem before it is squashed, but after it has been copied, they
write a plugin for Revisor and send me the patch ;-)

-- Jeroen