RFD: kernel-devel package improvements

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:34:28 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 1:26 AM, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> - Pentium 60MHz->200MHz CPUs. (Pre Pentium-Pro).
> - AMD K6/K6-2/K6-3
>   - These probably make up the bulk of the 586 users, as these
>     things sold like hot-cakes when they were launched.
>         These might actually still make decent low-usage server/firewall
>         type boxes. The question remains whether Fedora is the right
>         choice for this role.

they definitely make for decent rdiff-backup servers and web servers.

be careful with that last sentence.... since fedora is defined as
being "general purpose" fedora is probably not the 'right' choice for
any "specific purpose" no matter what hardware you happen to have...
be it firewall, web server, or desktop if we want to get pedantic
about it.

If someone in the community donates i586 hardware to you does that fix
your lack of testing hardware problem?  The idea that Fedora as a
project could currently support community led initiative to keep a 586
Core kernel maintained with a seperate installer inside the Fedora
namespace is somewhat laughable.
There is absolutely ZERO evidence that Red Hat is prepared to allow
for contributed installable media sets that can use the Fedora
trademarks, whether it be i386 or i586 specific or anything else.

-jef" i havent filed any bugs against i586 kernels..because well.. i
havent noticed any problems on my 586 machines"spaleta