RFD: kernel-devel package improvements

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 00:30:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:34:28AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

 > If someone in the community donates i586 hardware to you does that fix
 > your lack of testing hardware problem?

No. If I have an hour to work on Fedora bugs, I'm going to spend
that hour working on bugs affecting the most users. Which mean
586 specific bugs aren't going to get attention.  As RHEL doesn't
support 586 at all, there's going to be little motivation inside
Red Hat to fix any issues that crop up with that kernel.

 > The idea that Fedora as a
 > project could currently support community led initiative to keep a 586
 > Core kernel maintained with a seperate installer inside the Fedora
 > namespace is somewhat laughable.

Seems you've forgotten about FC1-x86_64 already.
That whole project was run by one person. Installer, kernel (though
I admit I did lend a hand somewhat there), multilib support,
everything. 99% done outside of Red Hat.
If one person can pull that off, I see no reason why a handful
of interested parties couldn't do the same for something far
less complicated.

 > There is absolutely ZERO evidence that Red Hat is prepared to allow
 > for contributed installable media sets that can use the Fedora
 > trademarks, whether it be i386 or i586 specific or anything else.

Except for FC1-x86_64.

		Dave