BuildRequires on python-abi

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 19:27:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 15:01 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 14:56 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> > Well, you are encouraging people to put themselves into a situation
> > where they've got two ABI-incompatible packages with the same NVREA, and
> > different deps.
>
> Except for the fact that the spec file was written in such a way that
> the Name would be different, so NEVRA uniqueness would be preserved.

"the spec file"?  Seth's question was:

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 03:17 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hey folks,
>  I was looking at some packages with:
>
> BuildRequires: python-abi = %{pyver}
>
> when this is in an srpm, built on fc3 it comes out as python-abi = 2.3
> when you try to rebuild this srpm on rawhide it is impossible to provide
> the buildreq b/c nothing provides python-abi = 2.3.
>
> So I was thinking - wouldn't it make sense for a buildrequires on
> python-abi to be >= %{pyver}?

He's not asking about any specific package, he's asking about such deps
in general.  And in general, spec files aren't written so the package
name changes when you rebuild with some other build environment.

(and they shouldn't be, that's a really sick hack anyway)

--
        Peter