/etc key location auto-migration

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Apr 24 11:14:53 UTC 2005

Now that we have moved a bunch of packages keys or certs from somewhere
in /usr to somewhere in /etc, shouldn't we also modify those packages
%post to conditionally auto-migrate those keys/certs?  Without
auto-migration there will undoubtedly be many complaints and bug reports
from people who upgrade like "FC4 broke SSL foo!"

Conditional auto-migration would need to be carefully implemented and
tested because it can be complicated.  For example in some cases it
would need to perform string-replacement in config files to point at the
new key/cert location.

In other cases it would *copy* keys/certs to new locations, but only if
old location contains custom (non-packaged) keys/certs, and the new
location does NOT contain custom files (files deposited prior to %post
by the package update).  How the heck would this be implemented (you may
NOT run rpm during %post)?  Is there any simpler algorithm that does the
right thing?

After things are copied, it would need to check/correct file permissions
to make sure things are safe.

In any case I'm convinced that auto-migration needs to happen, it will
just be painful to implement correctly.  First step is listing which
packages need to be modified in this way?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com