/etc key location auto-migration

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 12:27:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 01:14:53AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Now that we have moved a bunch of packages keys or certs from somewhere
> in /usr to somewhere in /etc, shouldn't we also modify those packages
> %post to conditionally auto-migrate those keys/certs?  Without
> auto-migration there will undoubtedly be many complaints and bug reports
> from people who upgrade like "FC4 broke SSL foo!"

What will RPM do when /usr/share/ssl changes from a directory to a
symlink on an upgrade, if /usr/share/ssl contains non-package-managed
files?  Fail to create the symlink, I'd presume?  In which case, old
configurations will remain pointing at old files, so no migration is
necessary.  Of course, if people *want* to migrate their stuff over they
can do that manually.

I don't think %post scripts should go moving random user-controlled
files around nor munging configurations because of this change.

joe