proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 09:44:31 UTC 2005

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
>>Indeed people who don't need -devel packages don't need -static either.
>>My concern is developers having to download static libs that they never
>>use.
>
> Given the fact that selecting "development" in the installation process
> will give you almost each and every -devel package the system has to
> offer anyway I thinks this is a kind of moot point. Disk space is cheap.

I beg to disagree: to me the issue is download time and bandwidth
(think "yum upgrade"), but yes diskspace is also an issue.
-devel packages without static will typically be much smaller than with,
and in some cases very significantly smaller.  Most Fedora developers
do not need static libs I believe and there is no reason why everyone should
need to download them when only a minority use them.

Jens