tobuild file

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 1 11:26:59 UTC 2005

dwmw2 at infradead.org (David Woodhouse) writes:

>> > I'd wager the vast majority of plague users are not going to be
>> > coming at it from a corporate environment.
>>
>> I wouldn't be so sure about that.  I could imagine quite a lot of
>> Fedora Extras contributors use it at work too.
>
> Yes, but many work environments _are_ set up with proper access to the
> outside world via NAT. We're not talking about _everyone_ who uses it
> from work; just those with broken connectivity.

Do you have numbers about the percentage of full-access vs. restricted-access
networks? My feeling is, that the large part of work environments does not
allow direct access but only a restricted subset (perhaps ssh) or forbids it
completely and enforces proxy usage.

> And if their connectivity is broken enough that it doesn't allow
> outgoing connections from plague, then it probably doesn't allow SSH
> either -- so they can't actually commit to CVS anyway.

ACK, 'make build' is already a pain and forces me to setup yet
another tunnel.  (IMO, CVS was a bad choice for the Fedora source
code management.  SVN and GNU arch are much more firewall friendly
because their used libraries know how to use proxies).

> I don't see that we have to pander to their brokenness.

Why brokeness? These environments are providing usually HTTP proxies and
every HTTP based application should know how to use them. When not,
these applications but not the environments are broken.

Enrico