More status on the Extras buildsystem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 1 16:08:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 12:03 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I see that a number of jobs have now made it into the queue, including
> > both of my requests (and some duplicates from other people too). I tried
> > killing one of my duplicate jobs about 20 minutes ago by doing:
> >
> > $ plague-client kill 282
> >
> > Shortly afterwards I received an email stating that the job had been
> > killed. However, the page
> > http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/build-status/job.psp?uid=282 still
> > shows that job as "building" and in fact the plague-client command has
> > still not exited. This doesn't seem right...
>
> It appears that (as of last night) the build server was stuck in SSL_BIO_read()
> trying to receive data from hammer3.  I killed the hammer3 plague-builder
> process, but the server didn't notice that because it was stuck in that
> function.
>
> Now the fix for this is to use socket timeouts, which essentially make the
> sockets non-blocking, but this leads to other problems (ie, socket.makefile()
> doesn't work well with socket.settimeout(), but we have to use makefile because
> the SSL sockets don't have a dup2()) that need to be dealt with as well.  I hope
> that I can come up with some non-blocking solution here to deal with these
> issues.  The worst thing is that these problems are completely non-reproducible
> and occur at random.
>
> The immediate solution is to restart the build server.

Thanks; that caused my original "plague-client kill 282" to produce a
traceback. I was then able to repeat the command, and it exited quickly
with:

$ plague-client kill 282
Success: job 282 killed.

This time it does seem to have worked.

There are still duplicates of gkrellm-freq-0_1_1-2_fc4 and
dejavu-fonts-1_12-1_fc3 in the queue, so the owners of those packages
may want to kill the dupes.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>