My first (ab)use of the CVS tags

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 08:38:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 00:29 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, the subject is maybe a bit alarming, don't worry just yet :-)
> I wanted to get some maintainer's opinion about what I just did, which
> doesn't bother me much, but might be something for which consensus ends up
> being "don't do that, ever!" :
>
> I had forgot to commit a patch into CVS for synergy's FC-3 branch, and
> just committed the exact same files (except for that missing patch) to all
> FC-3, FC-4 and devel branches, tagged them and requested builds.
> Obviously, the FC-3 build immediately failed upon trying to build the
> source rpm, whereas the two others were going to build fine.
>
> The typical thing to do here would have been to bump the release and ask
> for a new build. But that would have meant bump the FC-4 and devel
> releases too to keep them in order (since I used "1%{?dist}" for all
> three), for nothing... so I tried something else.
>
> I manually tagged the FC-3 branch where the patch was now included as
> *-1_1_fc3 (where it previously was *-1_fc3) without actually changing the
> release nor anything else in the spec file, and asked plague to rebuild
> that new branch.

IMHO, you should have done instead 'TAG_OPTS=-F make tag' of course IF
and ONLY IF the build failed. The tag in CVS should indicate that a the
rpm with the same NVR as in the TAG was created from this exact CVS
contents.

So moving the tag if no such rpm was created yet should be perfectly
correct. On the other hand what you have done is really confusing
because the *-1_fc3 tag doesn't reflect the state as of -1.fc3 rpm (this
is a big problem) and for the *-1_1_fc3 tag doesn't exist a -1.1.fc3 rpm
(this is not a problem).
--
Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>