My first (ab)use of the CVS tags

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Aug 4 10:57:27 UTC 2005

Ville Skyttä wrote :

> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 10:38 +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 00:29 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> >
> > > I manually tagged the FC-3 branch where the patch was now included as
> > > *-1_1_fc3 (where it previously was *-1_fc3) without actually changing the
> > > release nor anything else in the spec file, and asked plague to rebuild
> > > that new branch.
> >
> > IMHO, you should have done instead 'TAG_OPTS=-F make tag' of course IF
> > and ONLY IF the build failed. The tag in CVS should indicate that a the
> > rpm with the same NVR as in the TAG was created from this exact CVS
> > contents.

This is interesting : One can force a tag to be overwritten? I had no idea
that could be achieved, and does seem like the proper way of doing things
if no package has yet been built from the current tag. Thoughts?

> > So moving the tag if no such rpm was created yet should be perfectly
> > correct. On the other hand what you have done is really confusing
> > because the *-1_fc3 tag doesn't reflect the state as of -1.fc3 rpm (this
> > is a big problem) and for the *-1_1_fc3 tag doesn't exist a -1.1.fc3 rpm
> > (this is not a problem).
>
> Just appending something, eg. ".1", to the release tag in the affected
> branch and tagging and building as usual would have worked, too.

So 1.1.fc3 < 1.fc4? I've been bitten too many times to be able to swear
that's correct without checking it first ;-) Also, since no "1.fc3"
package had been built, it doesn't make that much sense to bump the
release for the build. I personally prefer the suggestion above of
overwriting the tag, as long as it's used with extreme caution...

And I now realize that what I did is plain wrong, since as Michael pointed
out, someone wanting to check out the CVS files for the "1.fc3" package
will use the tag where the patch is missing. So I definitely won't do it
again ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Load : 0.09 0.13 0.14