Package needing to be shared across multiple branches

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Aug 4 15:12:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 13:21 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:

> I've just rebuilt some packages for torcs and torcs-data (The Open Racing
> Car Simulator) for development, which fix some problems that had been
> reported. My concern now is that the source torcs-data package is 65MB in
> size, with the resulting noarch packages occupying the same, and those are
> completely arch and distro independant.

I've been asking that a couple of times earlier, too.

> So I'd like to find a way to have the torcs-data packages I've just
> released in development hardlinked to the FC-3 and FC-4 trees since it
> will save a few hundred megabytes on all Fedora Extras mirrors. Can I just
> request that on the FC3Status and FC4Status Wiki pages?

As far as I'm concerned, yes.  Opinions welcome whether there's value in
having them hardlinked in the "root" Extras repository on
fedoraproject.org or if a "cp -p" would be enough/better.

> Will there be a formal process for this case, since it's definitely not an
> isolated one? Would be nice... but probably won't be easy, though.

I don't really see anything that wouldn't be easy about it, and yes, I
volunteer to help with these copy requests.  Unless someone violently
objects to the whole idea of hardlinking/copying or has better ideas,
let's use the FC[34]Status pages for this for now.