Package needing to be shared across multiple branches

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Aug 4 16:35:42 UTC 2005

Ville Skyttä wrote :

> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 17:31 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > Well, if you're going to run "cp", you might as well use "-l" too in order
> > to hardlink the files on the master server :-)
>
> Sure, but it's a matter of rsync's behaviour with hardlinks, which
> according to the man page is slow/expensive.  I've no first hand
> experience on this nor can I tell whether it'd matter on the
> fedoraproject.org servers.

All mirror admins I know use rsync -H already (preserve hardlinks), or at
least run "hardlink" or "hardlink++" locally after syncing. Even on trees
as big as /pub/redhat or /pub/fedora, it's not _too_ expensive (but of
course, this is subjective) and really saves a non negligible amount of
disk space.

For my /pub/fedora (core+extras) :

Hard linking Statistics:
Directories           : 269
Regular files         : 85471
Comparisons           : 139
Hardlinked this run   : 0
Total hardlinks       : 19659
Bytes saved this run  : 0
Total gibibytes saved : 14.6671
Total mibibytes saved : 15019.1
Total kibibytes saved : 1.53796e+07
Total bytes saved     : 15748679984

Many of those are noarch packages, but also all of the i386 ones in
x86_64, etc.

My "partial" mirror :

$ du -sh /var/ftp/pub/fedora
76G     fedora

So without all the existing hardlinks, it would use up roughly 90GB
instead, which is roughly a 20% increase. So hardlinks where possible are
a good thing IMHO, even if it would be easiest to just throw everything at
the build system.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Load : 1.49 1.98 1.47