Core BrainStorm

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 15:28:29 UTC 2005

On 11/27/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>  I setup a wiki page to get some ideas together about defining criteria
> for what is and is not core:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CoreBrainStorm
>

> What'd I'd love to see here is more help defining the criteria for what
> makes a package core. Then we can apply those criteria to each package
> in core and see if it still belongs there.

Ok the BIG question that I do not see on this or the CoreVsExtras is

Who Are the Architects?

A project needs to have some idea of who the benevolent dictators are
for the various sub-projects. They would be the ones who say that a
package can be added to their "Chain" of items in Core, Extra,
RepoMadness (a name for a dedicated layer of repos for specialized
projects like Beowulf, DISA_Secure Architecture, etc.).

Currently I have a better idea of how I could get something checked in
the kernel than I do with Fedora... and I do not do kernel work. I
need to know who they are, AND what they are looking for/expectations
for their part of the REPO.

Beyond that I threw some rough ideas of what architects would be
looking for and what might be their responsibilities.

Overall Core Architect/Dictator
  Base Architect
    The sub-strata that everything relies on.
  Desktop Architect
    Office Tools
      WSYWIG Editors
      Spreadsheets
      Presentation
      Small-database
      Email
      Calender
      Browser
    Lifestyle Tools
      Music
      Games
      Movies
  Development Architect
    Languages
    Compilers
    Libraries
    Debuggers
    IDE
  Server Architect
    Services to be supported
      HTTP
      FTP
      Email

In my mind, the core set may be smaller than that but would allow for
installation from Extras and RepoMadness

  Cluster Repo
    CCS
    GFS
    etc.
  Web Communication Services Repo
    Zope/Plone
    Moin
    Webmail
    Etc
  Authorization/Authentication Server Repo
    LDAP
    Kerberos tools
    Etc

--