multilib fun - devel packages

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Dec 8 23:17:25 UTC 2005

> 2) Wordsize specific #defines and similar in a header file.
>
>    a) If they're just informational, remove them:
>    /* configured for i386-redhat-linux */
>    b) Abstract them out into separate files, or one
>      common file. For example, a file that has on i386:
> #define LONG_SIZE 4
> and on x86_64:
> #define LONG_SIZE 8
>
> could be changed to:
>
> #ifdef __i386__
> #include "bits/i386-defines.h"
> #endif
> #ifdef __x86_64__
> #include "bits/x86_64-defines.h"
> #endif
>
> and the -defines.h files could be populated only on those arches.

OK, so I'm picking on your specific example... but a point which
probably needs making anyway...

The specific case above _shouldn't_ be changed like that; it should be
changed to sizeof(long) instead. If you can write portable code
_without_ the gratuitous ifdefs that autoconf(spit) encourages you to
abuse, then do so.

--
dwmw2