multilib fun - devel packages

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 02:12:56 UTC 2005

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 00:30 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Things are not always that easy, LONG_SIZE as currently defined may be
>> used safely in preprocessor integer arithmetic, sizeof(long) == 0 as far
>> as the preprocessor is concerned.

> This is true, but still there's almost certainly going to be a more
> portable solution than one involving ifdefs on i386 or x86_64.

It's unlikely that upstream developers are going to be interested in
making wholesale changes to their configuration procedures just because
Red Hat objects to having machine-dependent config files that are
actually machine-dependent.  They'll say, "Yup, that's what they are
supposed to be."

Personally I'll probably be following Bill's suggestion of
	#ifdef __i386__
	#include "bits/i386-defines.h"
	#endif
	#ifdef __x86_64__
	#include "bits/x86_64-defines.h"
	#endif
But what's not very clear to me is where he imagines these additional
files will go --- is the reference to bits/ supposed to imply some
particular scheme, and if so what is it?  Personally I'd rather not
add a new subdirectory --- mainly because I don't see which package
would own it --- and would rather have, say, my_config.h #including
my_config_i386.h and so on from the same directory.

			regards, tom lane